Sage R8 Salt Fly Rod
The Sage R8 is a rod line made to fit a huge range of applications. From delicate presentations to tailing bonefish to bombing out long casts in the wind with heavy flies, this rod does it all. More importantly this rod gives the angler intuitive control resulting in better accuracy, less wasted energy, and more fun on the water!
It takes a lot of technology and the ability to put that technology to use to make a rod that excels at everything from short, delicate casts to accurate long range shots, is durable and hard wearing, and feels great in the hand. The R8 is the current manifestation of "Sage’s rich history of graphite innovation" and consistent effort to stay at the forefront of the fly fishing industry.
- Axial fiber formulation providing feedback throughout the beginning of the cast to the end of the fight.
- Effortless energy transfer and more connected feel.
- Proprietary composite with improved hoop strength allowing for a stronger backbone but with a more sensitive tip and improved feel.
The Sage Salt R8 is the ideal tool for the saltwater flats, where shots are sometimes few and far between and you need to make every one count. This rod excels at all parts of the saltwater game, letting you make accurate casts at fish just off the bow and launch long casts into the wind. When it comes time to turn a big snook back from the mangroves or put the heat to a full grown tarpon, the Salt R8 will do what is needed.
Many saltwater rods are built for pure power and strength at the expense of control and feel. With the new R8 graphite, adding 25% more strength-per-weight was the easy part—a simple function of material advancement—but one that also increased the fight in the rod even down to the six-weight. Sage was able to increase the pure pulling power without the need to add more material, fillers or reinforcement. The result is faster landing times, which both reduces stress on the fish and lets you get back to casting more quickly.
Sage Salt R8 Benefits:
- 25% Greater Strength Per Rod - Greater Pulling power equals more fight for faster landing and less stress on delicate ecosystems • Enhanced Durability - Enhanced toughness withstands more rugged situations and demands of remote travel.
- More Intuitive Sweet Spot - Prioritizes touch and speed for shorter shots and on-demand casts.
- Saltwater Specific Guide Set - Fuji K-guides resist corrosion, while angled shape prevents snags and tangling in the chaos of the fight. Oversized chrome snake guides and tip-top allow larger saltwater knots to pass with ease.
- Heavy-Duty Reel Seat - Built for enhanced contact and confidence, heavy-duty reel seat and oversized locking rings keep reel tight to the rod for greater contact, rigidity, and a more direct connection when fighting powerful high-stakes fish.